Monday, August 17, 2015

Something New: Wire Hat

So another week begins and so does another new piece.   With Pensacola Paracon just finishing I thought  it would be fun to do the reveal on a project that I have been working on for a while now.  As mentioned in a few earlier blogs I have played with decorating hats before. 






 Well this time around I decided to see if I could make a hat from scratch.   Now sewing wise I am quite limited.  I don’t own a sewing machine nor do I know how to use one (of which I plan on correcting soon. ) This limits me to hand sewing which I'm not bad at but not too good for big projects. So this time around I decided to give my wirewrapping skills a test and Tadahh: Wire Hat!




The base of the hat is a thicker industrial wire that was leftover from my weeping angel costume from last year.  I formed this into the base of the hat. The thicker wire I could only get to wrap so much to the base was a bit shaky.  I remedied this by using thinner wire to enforce the shape.   I knew I would need a LOT of this thinner wire for what I had planned so instead of getting,  crafting wire I got a spool of gardening wire.  I wound this around the wire base two times to make the wire a bit more firm.  




After that I got to work on the brim of the hat.  This was the most time consuming part.  I would have to twist two pieces together.  This took the longest and I often just took the wire with me.  (I have since learned the drill trick which will be good for later projects)  I would then fasten the wire into half of a heart with a bit of a swirl at the end and attach it to the brim.  I then mirrored the action on the other side of this and attached the middle of the two hearts together. 



  I did this all around the brim.  I then added a drop of solder to the edge of each heart to keep any pieces from scratching or snagging on anything it.  Once the brim was finished I began work on the sides.  I played around with a few different ideas.  I originally thought of doing lots and lots of swirls, a crisscross pattern, I even played around with making giant hearts to match the brim. Finally I settled on a mixed pattern with twirls.  I then added the gears and assorted beads to the mix and attached them via chain.

Finally I took some of the extra pieces of ribbon from my ribbon box and laced it around the top and the bottom of the hat to both add a final touch and to give it a bit of cushioning.

And Tah Dah! Wire hat!  



The entire project took about a month to two weeks.  (I’m afraid I can’t give a specific time as I moved while in the middle of working on this and had to shelve it for a bit.)  I enjoyed the final result so much that I ended up making a full costume for it which I debuted at Paracon.  

I got so many compliments on the hat an even may have a few commissions for them.  I may do a few more of these in the future but for now I am off to the next bit project.  Airship!

No comments:

Post a Comment