Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Hello There!

Hello there.  My name is Fay.  I am a jewelry maker and lover of jewelry, Steampunk, tea, art and many many more things.  I am also a member of my towns local costumer guild and work full time as an electronic service representative for a credit union. I created this blog to both promote my growing jewelry business as well as share many of the things that I love.  I hope that you will find it enjoyable and follow along on this journey.

To start out I thought I'd begin with how I fell into Steampunk and started making jewelry:

Art has always been a big impact in my life.  As far back as I can remember I was learning to paint, draw, play with clay, beads or any kind of craft.  My Papa taught me to paint with acrylic and always had a drawer full of paints, pastells, crayons that I could express myself with.  I often received sketchbooks and paints and art kits as Christmas or Birthday gifts from my parents.  My mother also taught me to crochet and crosstitch just as my Mamaw had taught her.  My favorite kind of crafts were the ones that let me create something out of the simplest unwanted items and making them into something new and wonderful.  Possibly influencing my pack rat nature.
  When I wasn't doing art I was dressing up.  My mother said my favorite game when I was a child was playing pretend and wearing crowns and hand me down dresses that became beautiful ballgowns that I attended imaginary balls in.  My favorite part of dance class was the day that our costumes came in and I got to see all of the lovely outfits that came in.  My second favorite part was dress rehearsal and performance day when we got to wear these beautiful dresses and put on thick stage makeup.  Ballet also revealed to me one of my biggest influences: Miss Susan.  She was one of the dance teachers and everyday she came in long flowing skirts, beautiful antique tops that looked like something out of a history book, cameo's and flowered laced hats.  I was amazed.  I had thought that dress up was something that I could only do at home or for special occasions.  That it was a luxury I would have to give up when I grew older. And yet here she was, an adult wearing these beautiful outfits everyday that I thought could only be worn in movies or stories!  I wanted to be Miss Susan.  I wanted to wear pretty vintage clothes everyday and feel like a lady.  A goal that just recently I have begun to accomplish.

 My first experience selling something I made was when I was in high school and I sold some mosaic boxes I had made at our school art festival.  I loved the atmosphere of selling outside along other vendors.  After a while though I had to give up my boxes because college and work took up my live leaving me with little free time to work on these boxes that were just taking up space in my room. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered Steampunk and decided that I wanted to make some of the jewelry so I could wear it myself.  I was starting to slow down in work and school and jewelry was small enough I could take it with me to work on in spare time. After a while my mother, who had been selling beaded necklaces for years, insisted that I put a few of my pieces on her table to sell when she went to sell at a local craft market in town.  Before I knew it I was scrambling to keep the booth stocked and learning as many new techniques as I could.  It was after my mother moved to Tampa that I took over the booth at the market and creating my own official business soon expanding to an etsy sight and selling at a local craft store.

Then last year in 2014 out town decided to host Pensacon.  A comic and scifi convention that would be held in our local civic center.  The price of the booths were much more than my market booths had ever cost.  I was conflicted.  On one hand it was more money than I had ever invested and I had no clue how my jewelry would sell.  But on the other hand the convention promised to draw in a large crowd (including a large group of steampunks) and was something I had always wanted to try.  So I took a gamble, purchased a booth and asked my friend Kenzey if she wanted to help me run it in exchange for a free Con ticket.   It opened up a new world for me.  Not only did I sell enough to pay off the booth and make profit.  I met many wonderful people from fellow Steampunkers to vendors to groups like the Pensacola Costumer's Guild of who I am now a member.  I had a blast and made many new friends at the same time. (and a little money too.)
And now a year later with the support of my friend's family and fiance I have just completed my fourth convention and second year at Pensacon.  I am still selling at the local market and shops as well.  I have also expanded my merchandise to include toy wands, bottles, goggles and hats.  My friend Kenzey who attended my first con with me now makes super hero aprons and our friend Tess Barnett has joinded us for our last two conventions to promote her books.    I am still only just beginning this journey but I cannot wait to share all of the wonderful times to be had.






No comments:

Post a Comment