Saturday, March 14, 2015

Past Pieces: Feathered Skeleton Key



Another older piece of mine.  One of the first I've ever made in fact. That's right folks this is the one that started it all. (Apologies for the less than quality picture.  I did not have the best quality camera at the time.)  I may have mentioned this earlier but the reason I began making jewelry in the first place was because I began to fall in love with the Steampunk style a few years ago.  However at the time steampunk had not reached the revolution and popularity that it celebrates today.  As a result steampunk type jewelry was not easy to find.  The only places I could find anything similar was online for a price.  So I decided I would give making my own necklace a try.  I had done very little jewelry making before that, although my mother had been making and selling beaded jewelry at work for a year now.  My first necklace as you can see was very simple and easy.  I simply took apart an earring that had lost its mate and attached it to an old skeleton key I had convinced my Mamaw to give me when I was a little girl.  (My pack rat nature and fascination with the old fashioned showing even then.)  I then attached a cord to the necklace and it was done.  (Simple I know but like I said this was my very first piece.) I then realized that I liked making jewelry and continued to do so.  My mother soon convinced me to try selling some of my extra pieces at the market where she sold hers and a few years later I sold at my first con.  Soon I was learning different techniques like wire wrap and resin alchemy.    And I've even branched outside of jewelry by making goggles, hats and most recently eye patches and cyborg eyes.  A single necklace made to imitate something I kept finding online has opened up a new world for me.  A necklace that I keep to this very day and still wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment